Sunday, January 13, 2013

New Clay


During these winter months, I do a lot of throwing getting ready for spring and summer events.  Since I don't have as much time to spend in the studio during the spring and summer, I try to get as much made during the winter as possible.  This process has helped relieve some of my anxiety and allowed me to better enjoy warm weather season that is so short here in Minnesota.  


Today I was throwing mugs and some bowls for an upcoming wood firing.  I normally use Continental Clay's B-Clay but occasionally like to try some different clays to get a little variety in each firing.  This time, it's Continental Clay's Woodfire Porcelain.  It's a dream to throw and not a huge change from the B-Clay which is a porcelain/stoneware mix.  I've got about 25 pounds more of this clay and then I've got some Buff Stoneware to work with as well.  I've used the Buff before and it fires to a much darker color than the B-Clay so it's a great clay to use a white slip on for the color difference. 

Have a great week.

3 comments:

Lori Watts said...

That's how I try to do it too: make (inside) when the weather is cold, fire (outside) when the weather warms up.
Can't wait to see how the woodfire porcelain fires!

Lori Buff said...

I do the same, lots of throwing in the winter and the hot Georgia summer so I can play, be less stressed in the spring and fall while I'm selling.

learning ceramics said...

Me too that woodfire should be really nice!